Wednesday, March 21, 2012

High School Happenings

Hi everyone!
There will be no column this week because I have some exciting news.

I've had a little project going on for over a week now, and it comes out today! My boss and I hatched the idea and finally swung things into gear this week.

Each week The Chatsworth Times will now have a page titled "High School Happenings". It's in the B section of the paper, in with the Sports page. This particular page focuses on high school groups, clubs, teams, etc. that have accomplished things that may not get the media attention they deserve because they are not traditional "sports".

I felt like these groups (i.e. Literary Club, FBLA, DECA, Winter Guard, Quiz Bowl Team, Band, etc.) are often left out and their accomplishments are glossed over. Not anymore!

The page will also feature a topic that students can chime in on each week an get their responses published.
Students are also welcome to submit their own articles about anything going on in high school. Each week we will pick one and that student will have their article published with the student's name on their own byline. This is an awesome opportunity for high school students to get involved and let the community REALLY know what's going on in high school beyond sports.

If you have anything you'd like to see published on the "High School Happenings" page of The Chatsworth Times, please submit it to me! My email is lindseybryan@live.com

Thanks and Happy Hump Day! :)

2 comments:

  1. If you want to write a condensed version of this article& send it to me (3 or 4 sentences max) , I'll do my best to get it on the morning announcements here at MCHS...
    Natalie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad that you are doing this Lindsey and The Chatsworth Times is supportive because you are so correct in that too often all that ever receives public focus and attention is sports. Glad to know others will be getting their recognition too. ~Jeff

    ReplyDelete